I am hopeful that many of you had the opportunity to visit the ROCK, GEM AND JEWELRY CLUB MEMBER SHOW organized by John Speck and Sam Rogers at the Wonderland Mall August 14-15. The show was an outstanding success and the exhibitors enjoyed the successful experience. Many thanks to John and Sam for their efforts for organizing the club sponsored event. John tells me they are thinking about having 2 of these mall shows a year in the future. Some 40 visitors have asked for club information!!!
We have been invited to St. Mary’s University for our September 16, 2021 meeting for a presentation on cave minerals in the visit to the University Museum. We will also present the SWGMS Scholarship. This scholarship has been presented for some 40 years.
Please note the following information provided by our host. Some of the details are still pending.
1. Masks are required in buildings on campus. Please bring a mask that you are comfortable with.
2. We are currently not allowing eating or drinking in the classrooms, so we will not be serving refreshments. SWGMS members are encouraged to bring a water bottle if they feel they will need it.
3. We will welcome people to visit the museum on the second floor of Garni Hall starting at 6 pm, but the main meeting at 7 pm will be in Moody Hall room 102. The student scholarship winners will be present to help everyone figure out where to go.
4. I am working with UPD to reserve spaces for parking in lot A and V. The attached campus map should show these as well as the fact that members will have to enter campus from Camino Santa Maria.
5. I will be giving a talk on Cave Minerals for the program as recognition of the International Year of Caves and Karst.
Please let me know if there are any questions. I look forward to seeing y’all.
Evelynn J. Mitchell, Ph.D.
Professor of Environmental Sciences
Department of Physics and Environmental Sciences
St. Mary’s University
One Camino Santa Maria
San Antonio, TX 78228
We have set the date for our picnic at McAllister Park on October 30th. This will be our meeting for October (no meeting at the Garden Center). We will have the wonderful HEB barbeque and opportunities for members to show their hobby or sell some items.
We are looking to a November meeting at the Garden Center pending COVID Guidelines and availability of the Center.
I hope to see you at St. Mary’s,
John Speck and Sam Rogers will be having our club member show at the Wonderland of the Americas mall the coming weekend of August 14-15. Please try to come by and greet your fellow club member’s sale tables. This show, organized by John and Sam, was set up support members who have rock, mineral, fossil and jewelry items for sale.
No club meeting at the garden club in August
For September, we have been invited back to St. Mary’s University for SWGMS scholarship student presentations, some refreshments and of course viewing their excellent mineral museum. The date is September 16th. More info on this club meeting will be sent our early September.
Please stay safe and try to come by the Wonderland of the Americas mall the weekend of September 14th.
Wonderland of the Americas mall
4522 Fredericksburg Rd, San Antonio, TX 78201
THANKS for all the members that attended in June. I heard the meeting was well attended and Joann gave a super presentation on Hawaiian volcanics.
We will have NO MEETING IN JULY. Most of the Board that organize the meetings are travelling out of state and I am still recovering from some surgery.
We will also have no meeting in August which is normally a Dark MONTH for us. St MARYS has agreed to again have our club meeting in their GEOLOGY DEPARTMENT were we are treated with a view of their super mineral museum and some presentations by the scholarship recipients. MORE TO COME ON THIS.
HOPE YOUALL ARE STAYING WELL!